Friday, November 11, 2011

Why Do We Read Scriptures?

Sometimes I have had to remind my kids why we read scriptures. They like to forget;) Actually they have come to the conclusion many times that it is some sort of check list item that once they are done they can go on with the rest of the their day and not think about it. So we are working on that!

Doing my best to explain it simply I reminded them of a scripture they have memorized:

John 14:15

"If ye love me, keep my commandments."

And while reading the scriptures isn't necessarily one of the 10 commandments it has been asked of us by the prophets to read them regularly making it a commandment. So we read them because we love God.

There are so many other reasons why (o receive guidance, comfort, strength and answers) but they will learn those in time. And this is probably the most important reason why we do it anyway:)

1 comment:

  1. I just came across your blog! I LOVE it! Thanks for the inspiration, and the reminder to keep it simple!

    ReplyDelete