Saturday, October 22, 2011

First Thing in the Morning

Some times the best time to do scripture study with the kids is first thing in the morning; even before you get out of bed, let your little guys climb right in... if they haven't already snuck in during the night, like mine usually have;) It's the perfect time to grab your bedside copy or phone and snuggle for bit to some great wisdom that will start the day of right!

We don't do this all the time but this morning was a lazy one for us. Since my husband has been out of town I have let my boys sleep in my room. So as soon as the sun started rising we were up. And since we were all together already in the same room I just called everyone over onto my bed for scripture study. There was some protesting since some just wanted to get a start on the day already and head down stairs. But I love doing scriptures this way, and hey, I'm the mom and hate to get out of bed. Besides we can cuddle while we do it:)

This morning I looked up the scriptures in my LDS Scripture phone app. There are others that are free or cheaper, I believe, but I really like this one. Feeling like I should look at our scripture mastery scriptures I opened that up. I then remembered I had a category of saved scriptures that I wanted to share with the kids. When I opened it up there was actually just one! Matt 5:44... perfect. With three little boys and three big personalities there can be a lot of conflict in our house. And having had to deal with bullying issues in the past with neighbor kids this was a good scripture for them for sure.

We actually just focused on the first verse. Short and simple, right?  I hope to be able to build on it with the next verse over the next few days. 

With this verse, I read it once out loud and then had them repeat it with me. Then my oldest read the words that he could. He actually picked a stopping point in the middle of the scripture. I'm guessing he took a look at the rest of the words and knew he wouldn't know how to read them or something. But I didn't push it, because the first part was what I wanted him to focus on anyway.

Matthew 5:44
44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
 45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

No comments:

Post a Comment