Sunday, October 9, 2011

Memorizing Scriptures

One of the most surprising things I have learned is that a young a child can start memorizing scriptures even before they can speak. And how quickly they can do so. All it takes is a little fun and repetition:) And what's more is that they love to do it!

One of my sons was barely 12 months old when he started doing the hand movements along with his older brothers. He would get so excited every time we said them out loud that he would want us to do it over and over and over again. So, the first tip I have to share has never been a problem;)

Here's a list that has worked for our kids (hopefully yours too!)


Repetition... repetition... repetition!
Say it each night for one month or so. Then pick a new one when you feel like they have learned it well enough. Even if they don't know it that well you can move on and come back to it another time.

Make up hand and body movements
The more signs you can make up to go with the verse the better. This really helps the younger ones learn! When my oldest was 2 and could talk and say the scriptures out loud that he memorized I thought that was young. But now I know that even at 12 months they can do the signs and "do" the scriptures along with their older siblings:) Again, maybe they don't know what it all means but they are a part of the scripture fun for sure!

Say scriptures out loud that you have memorized
Some nights instead of reading a story we will just say a scripture out loud that we ourselves have memorized... usually in the dark when they are laying still. One of our favorites was Helaman 5:12. It is a long one and I never thought they would memorize it all. But one day I thought I would start it and see if anyone could finish it. To my surprise my 5 year old had just about the whole thing memorized. So just saying one out loud and having them become familiar with it, they might surprise you too!

Record it on video
Some kids love to perform and be recorded. More than that they love watching themselves over and over:) Most laptops these days have a camera and make it easy to record and playback. It might even be fun for them to send a video to Grandma and Grandpa or a an aunt or uncle. Tell them they are being missionaries also! I will post some videos soon if they kids will give me their permission.


Some of the ones that our kids have memorized are:
(I've bolded the parts that we've memorized)

1 Nephi 3:7
And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

Isaiah 12:2
Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

Article of Faith 1
We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

Article of Faith 4
We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Article of Faith 13
We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Doc & Cov 84:88
And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.

And here is a quote from Elder Scott from this last General Conference about memorizing scriptures:

"Great power can come from memorizing scriptures. To memorize a scripture is to forge a new friendship. It is like discovering a new individual who can help in time of need, give inspiration and comfort, and be a source of motivation for needed change."


I know this principle to be true. It has been fun to memorize scriptures with our kids and to memorize them for ourselves. It has helped in church when they are asked to share a scripture with their primary. It is also neat when a speaker reads a scripture out loud that they know; they instantly look up and pay attention because they are familiar with it. A definite plus for anyone who has a hard time like we do during church and keeping their attention!

So give it a try! Let me know how it goes! Also, if you are stumped on the hand movements, give me a shout and I will help you come up with something fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment